Rick Riordan Comes to Utah

I wrote a couple months ago about finishing Duskfall and meeting Christopher Husberg at Comic Con. This time, I get to write about attending a book signing event for Rick Riordan in Draper, Utah.

This event was in honor of the release of his newest book The Hammer of Thor as part of the Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard series.




My friend Kayla and I had the opportunity to go to this book signing and it was a lot of fun. We were given signed copies of The Hammer of Thor and then got to watch Rick Riordan give a presentation. He talked about all of the things that he's been up to the past year and then some of the news about his upcoming books.

I think that the event was very well done. It was fun to see all of the kids get so excited. Us adults who were there found it entertaining as well. There were giveaways after trivia questions and they gave us all free t-shirts!

It's taken me a while to finish the books with school going on but I've been trying to make time while I'm substitute teaching. Finally now that's it's Christmas break I was able to finish both of the books of the series.

The Sword of Summer is the first book of the series. The summary of the book from Goodreads.com is as follows:

Magnus Chase has always been a troubled kid. Since his mother’s mysterious death, he’s lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, keeping one step ahead of the police and the truant officers.
One day, he’s tracked down by a man he’s never met—a man his mother claimed was dangerous. The man tells him an impossible secret: Magnus is the son of a Norse god. The Viking myths are true. The gods of Asgard are preparing for war. Trolls, giants and worse monsters are stirring for doomsday. To prevent Ragnarok, Magnus must search the Nine Worlds for a weapon that has been lost for thousands of years. When an attack by fire giants forces him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents, Magnus makes a fatal decision. Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die...

I have to say that I really enjoyed this book. I was worried that it was going to just be a repeat of the Percy Jackson series. But I was pleasantly surprised that there were many unique aspects to it that gave it new life! The main character, Magnus, is just as funny or funnier than Percy Jackson. I love the humor in the book and I always find myself laughing at the titles of the chapters or the one-liners that the characters deliver. The plot is different and very interesting. I love the information it gives on the Norse mythology since I'm definitely not very familiar with it.

I'm still reading The Hammer of Thor but so far so good! I'm enjoying it and it's living up to the expectations of a sequel! I'll make sure I give you all an update when I've finished it!

I hope you all are having a happy holidays!!


Comments

Popular Posts